Old May 3rd 17, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Things Named After The Current Queen

On Tue, 2 May 2017 23:48:20 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\05\02 22:59, wrote:

Phew , I half expected to open that and find that it had been
demolished by an errant road sweeper or worse been uprooted and swiped
for some town or city's twee improved pedestrian area with newly laid
cobbles and reproduction Edwardian lampposts till I noticed the 2014
date.

Either a thing looks nice or it doesn't. Why was it okay for Edwardians
to make things that looked nice but it's not okay for us? The people who
make beauty in the age of ugliness deserve praise, not criticism.

They do, but producing pastiche Edwardian stuff is worthy of much less
praise than producing good original designs. Modern stuff often is, but
need not be, ugly.

Depends. Modern buildings are IMO range from the uninspired to the pig ugly.
Even the shard doesn't really do it for me - a 3 year old can draw a giant
glass pyramid, where is the inspiration and fine detail? And as for the
identikit office blocks, rabbit hutch houses and industrial estates the less
said the better. OTOH cars are looking pretty good these days, its hard to find
a really ugly one anymore, and tech stuff also looks pretty smart to me.

--
Spud