Old May 27th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
AyrAlex AyrAlex is offline

Default How much is a train ticket down there?

I just wondered, as I seem to remember an off-peak half single from London
to Dover costing a lot of money back in 2001. On top of the large cost, I
had to change at Chatham, and the train split in two at Faversham. The
trains were all very old and slam-door.

Now it seems that for about a quarter of what I paid then, I can get a
single for 45-odd miles from Ayr to Glasgow, in under an hour, without
changing trains, and on a lovely, nice, new (but a bit dodgy) Alstom
Juniper for £5.30.

How to train fares there mount up? PS: A peak return from Ayr to Glasgow is
considerably more at £9.10
--
"We are now approaching Paisley Gilmour Street"