Old May 10th 17, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Hackney Chord: still in use?

On 10.05.17 16:57, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 2:26:05 PM UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

When, many, many years ago British Rail decided to close
Broad Street Station, as a sop to commuters coming via
Canonbury Tunnel, they built a chord in Hackney to enable
trains to run from the North London Line to Liverpool Street
during the morning rush hour. I assume these rush hour
services were abandoned decades ago.

I notice that the spur is still there and that the rails -
and absence of rust - suggest it is still occasionally
utilised. Does anyone know what it used for?

It's the Graham Road curve, between Reading Lane Junction on West Anglia and
Navarino Road Junction on the North London. As far as I know it's only used
for non-passenger moves.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Non-passenger as in freight or as in empty coaching stock?

ECS.