Old May 18th 17, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Two-thirds of DLR fleet to be replaced

wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 15:17:11 +0100
Recliner wrote:
As expected, TfL has started the procurement process to replace
two-thirds of the DLR fleet (the B90, B92 and B2K sets), plus extra
stock to increase services. The 43 new generation articulated trains,
entering service from 2022, will be single 87m units, equivalent to
three of the current two-section units (which is how most DLR trains
runs now).

Why do light rail and tram vehicles seem to have a much shorter shelf life
than heavy rail trains? Is it build quality? The DLR trains seem in fairly
good nick to me, I can't see any pressing need as a passenger for them to
be replaced.

I don't know if there are any maintenance issues with the current stock,
but having the new stock built as single articulated units increases
capacity and flexibility, allowing the attendant to access the entire
length of the train at any time.

The old DLR stock may have second-value if they're in good nick, just as
the original stock did. For example, I wonder if the T&W Metro could use
them? The current Metro stock is much older, and is due to be replaced in
a few years, just when the DLR trains could be available.