Old May 22nd 17, 08:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Crossrail access to Heathrow still not settled

On 22/05/2017 16:51, d wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:39:03 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:34:16 on Mon, 22 May
2017,
d remarked:
I wonder if HAL intends to ignore the Elizabeth line in the same way?
Perhaps it will change its policy if Crossrail trains have to pay a hefty
access charge?

Perhaps the government in the form of network rail or tfl should reciprocate
in kind and massively raise access charges for HEx on the NR network and if
they refuse to pay then physically disconnect the line to heathrow from the
GW line.

They can't do that until 2023. And if they did it would give HAL a
golden opportunity to say "Ha! You don't want to cut traffic and air
pollution near the airport after all, do you".

Given their lobbying for a 3rd runway I think its fair to say heathrow don't
have a leg to stand on wrt enviroment concerns. And airliner on takeoff burns
the same amount of fuel per second as a couple of thousand cars.

That's a different aspect to the environmental impact. The ones the
NIMBYs worry about include traffic congestion and pollution from road
vehicles.

Worring about the wolf while not noticing the bear. I'd have thought a 2
mile long slab of concrete plus god knows how many jets taking off overhead
would have been a lot more to worry about than extra traffic. I live under one
of the many heathrow flight paths and there's enough air traffic already. God
knows what it'll be like with even more. Assuming NATs can handle it which
isn't a given as it seems from 2019 they'll be doing London Citys remote
control tower - no one at home, just video feeds down a presumably "secure"
link. What could possibly go wrong?

Actually three separate secure links.

--
Graeme Wall