Old May 23rd 17, 08:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Crossrail access to Heathrow still not settled

In message , at 08:44:54 on Tue, 23 May
2017, d remarked:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 17:06:28 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:16 on Mon, 22 May
2017,
d remarked:
Given their lobbying for a 3rd runway I think its fair to say
heathrow don't
have a leg to stand on wrt enviroment concerns. And airliner on takeoff

burns
the same amount of fuel per second as a couple of thousand cars.

That's a different aspect to the environmental impact. The ones the
NIMBYs worry about include traffic congestion and pollution from road
vehicles.

Worring about the wolf while not noticing the bear. I'd have thought a 2
mile long slab of concrete plus god knows how many jets taking off overhead
would have been a lot more to worry about than extra traffic.

There's a large five figure number of employees and about the same
number of passengers, every day. That's an awfully big impact on the
local roads and pollution.

Sure, I'm not saying the road traffic won't be worse. But tbh one traffic
jam is very much like another. When I worked down there it was pretty much
gridlock already in the rush hour.

If the airport wasn't there, the traffic congestion and pollution would
be much worse.

We are where we are, and the improvements to public transport are mainly
to reduce the traffic and pollution.