Old May 24th 17, 09:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Crossrail access to Heathrow still not settled

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 21:24:47 on Mon, 22 May 2017, Recliner
remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message 8737bxrr3j.fsf@einstein, at 13:52:32 on Mon, 22 May 2017,
Graham Murray remarked:
The interesting sociological experiment will be whether HAL treat
the Elizabeth Line
like the tube, or like HC.

In what sense does it treat the Tube and HC differently now?

Oyster (at least PAYG) is not available on HC to the airport, only to
Hayes & Harlington.

That's a TfL decision, not the airport's.

With the fees for using the link being fixed (see my reply to Recliner)
it seems disingenuous for TfL

....when they take over the service...

to price gouge travellers between H&H and
LHR "because they can" when the costs to TfL are the same whether or not
the trains are full or empty.

Is it a TfL or GWR/DfT decision? I don't think TfL controls HC and its
Heathrow stations. But it will operate Crossrail, hence the dispute.

This document is worth a read:
http://www.orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/...harging-framew
ork-for-the-heathrow-spur-decision-may-2016.pdf

The dispute seems to revolve on whether HAL has, or could, recover the
construction costs from airline charges, as the cost of building it is
included in the RAB (regulated asset base). HAL is entitled to charge for
rail access if it can show that it wouldn't havd built the spur without the
prospect of such chatges.

So moving the goalposts.

Also, there's a dispute over whether the original
basis for the rail access charges applies to a service beyond Padd, such as
Crossrail, as it's a new service that wasn't part of the original business
plan.

It seems likely to me that the charges would apply to "all trains",
especially as there have been various expansion plans very seriously
suggested to be just-around-the-corner the whole time, such as this
diagram in the airport's 97/98 annual report:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...76637_19064136
35_n.jpg?oh=a44c4c5c976219a024306583d402eb3f&oe=59 ABD513

Para 78 also suggests that HAL has already fully recovered the spurs
original construction costs:

"In our proposed decision we also discussed that Schedule 11 of the Joint
Operating Agreement contained a financial model demonstrating how the HEX
service would provide a return on HAL’s investment in the Heathrow Spur.
This model showed that the fare revenue to be received between 1993 and
2016 was forecast to be sufficient to cover all BAA’s initial investment in
building the Heathrow Spur as well as covering operating costs for those
years."

The accountants can argue about that.