Old May 30th 17, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Bristow Mike Bristow is offline

Default Crossrail 2 hits the buffers

In article ,
d wrote:
I can't see the need for crossrail 2. We already have Thameslink and in
north london there's the moorgate line.

I think those lines are pretty full in the peak.

If its simply to improve the public
transport in hackney then just build a new tube line or branch off the
victoria line

The victoria line isn't exactly renowned for half-full trains; and
I don't think there's much scope for increasing the capacity much.

It also doesn't improve public transport in Chelsea.

It also doesn't divert services that currently terminate in Waterloo
and Liverpool Street; by doing that you get to improve those
services (because they're no longer fighting for space in a busy
terminus) but also improve all the other services at that station,
because there are now 10 more paths into and out of e.g. Waterloo
that can be used by e.g. services to Southampton or Putney.

but don't spend billions on another north-south mainline
railway.

How about a SW - NE one?

That's not to say that there's nothing to critise in the plans:
personally, I think the SW section tries to pull in too many branches
and that will badly impact reliability. I think they're planning
on additional tracks so that CR2 will have dedicated running, which
is something, and all the junctions are (currently) flying, so
presumably they'll still have that.

Cheers,
Mike

--