Old May 28th 04, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

Rajesh Kakad (BT) wrote:
Would it not be easier to have the same rule as in the USA, where
they can turn right on a red signal?

So we should be able to turn LEFT at a RED light.

Of course the pedestrians and other cars on the green, have
priority.

This would save time, reduce pollution (whilst waiting) and get
traffic moving, instead of sitting idle.

What does London say ?

Even if there is a separate lane for left-turning traffic, which often
there isn't room for in London, a left-turning driver would have poor
visibility of conflicting traffic if a bus or truck is waiting in the
adjacent lane at the lights.

As a way of improving junction capacity, I prefer the French system
(Parisian, anyway) of giving pedestrians priority over turning vehicles.
At a cross-roads where north-south and east-west roads meet, when
north-south traffic has green signals, the 'green man' is displayed for
pedestrians crossing the east-west roads, and traffic turning into those
roads has to give way to them. I'm sure the HSE would have a fit, but
it does seem to work. The great advantage is that there is no need to
halt all traffic for a pedestrian-only phase.
--
Richard J.