Old June 9th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Epping to Ongar QEII Beer Festival

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 12:53:35 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 11:06:53 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
The line would have needed serious investment in order to run more
frequent, full length, direct London trains. Would you, as a London
taxpayer, wanted to have paid for more Essex residents to have heavily
subsidised travel into the already packed core Central line? Wouldn't your
generous offer of a large personal donation be better spent increasing the
central area capacity?

Given there's currently a very expensive and fairly pointless scheme to link
the Met to watford junction I don't think improving Ongar would have been
completely beyond the pale especially if Essex CC had coughed up some dough.
I suspect a large number of the outer areas of the tube dont pay their way
and if you just concentrated on core services you'd end up with something like
the Paris metro - great service in the centre, not so much in the suburbs.

The LU policy is now to concentrate on the core area, and new
extensions are likely only to be in urban areas within London, not
rural branches. Haven't you noticed that the Watford Met extension has
stalled?