Old June 12th 17, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Epping to Ongar QEII Beer Festival

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 05:42:17 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

With all due respect, the fact that London Transport did some
preparatory work does not mean very much. That work came to
nothing. London Underground did not take over the line to
Alexander Palace which was closed by BR in July 1954.

It was a lot more than preparatory work. Have you ever looked at Highgate
station? It was close to ready for trains to run. London Underground didn't
take over the Ongar train service before 1957 but they had taken over the
line long before then.

As an aside, if you walk along the parkland walk now you can still see the
old concrete cable posts that LT put in. Reinstating the line is not beyond
the bounds of possibility - the trackbed is still mostly clear apart from
one nursery school at muswell hill which could be relocated 10 metres sideways
to avoid the line. I suppose the only really issue is that now running to
moorgate isn't an option it would have to be a shuttle service terminating at
highgate high level which wouldn't be ideal in the rush hour though I suspect
a lot more desirable than the current bus service to wood green option.

--
Spud