Old June 12th 17, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Epping to Ongar QEII Beer Festival

In message , at 08:35:03 on Mon, 12 Jun
2017, d remarked:
some stupidly short-sighted decisions were taken up to the 1970s.

Some might say failing to build Ringways 1-4 was one of those!

Certainly not! I never knew you were such a petrolhead.

I'm not a petrolhead as such, but sometimes private cars are the
least worst way to empower the requisite number of journeys.

In London? Are you mad??!!

No. Avoiding London, which is what the Ringways were for.

I'm not sure you can say with a straight face that the north circular avoids
london given its about 5 miles inside it!

It avoids a great deal of London, such as Hampstead and Cricklewood.

On the other hand the South Circular is known as "a collection of
signposts" rather than a road which avoids anything.