Old May 29th 04, 01:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

Andrew Smith writes:
In Eastern Germany, at certain sets of lights, a sign exists permitting
you to turn right when the light is at red if the road is clear of other
traffic. ...

A textual sign, or graphical? I find it hard to imagine the icon for that.

In the US, intersections where you must *not* turn right on red (except in
New York, where by municipal law the default is reversed) are marked with
textual signs, NO TURN ON RED or similar wording. We used to have the
same here, but now a no-right-turn icon is placed beside an icon of a traffic
light with the red lit, and you're supposed to figure out for yourself that
a preposition or conjunction connecting the two signs is implied.

By the way, for those who have never experienced it, the North American
right-on-red does require the driver to stop first, and wait for all
conflicting traffic. In other words, here a red light is equivalent to
a stop sign if you're making a right turn. (And dishonored about as much.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Keep out of eyes--if this occurs, rinse with water.