Old May 29th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew P Smith Andrew P Smith is offline

Default UK Petrol prices

In article , Han Monsees
writes

"dave F" schreef in bericht
If you feel you want to try to reduce petrol prices, try the following
suggestion :

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices
to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Philip
Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

snip: idea to force petrol prices down

Your proposal does make sense (except for the chainletter part). However, I
believe that the oil companies aren't the only ones to blame. At least in my
country (Holland), the prices are kept extremely high mainly because of
taxes. Petrol cost about 90p over here (1.35 Euros). In Belgium, taxes are
lower. The difference is about 0,10 Euro (7p). In places like Luxembourg and
Andorra, petrol is even cheaper. And it all comes from the same Shell, Esso
or BP plant in Rotterdam. In the US, petrol is almost free (to European
standards, at least). Same companies, same oil producing countries.

So I guess we should not punish the oil companies but we should punish the
gouvernments for their tax-policies. It might be a bit more difficult, but
we really should convert our cars to burn alcohol instead of petrol. At
least here in Holland, alcohol for cleaning purposes* can be bought cheaply
and without tax (except VAT, of course).

* Don't come to Holland to buy cheap alcohol and mix your own drinks; I am
referring to a product called "spiritus" which is a mixure of ethanol
("ordinary alcohol") and methanol (the stuff they use to power Indicars).
The methanol is added to prevent it from being used for consumption since
methanol is highly toxic

greetings,
hgrm

www.abd.org.uk is running a campaign to force down taxation on fuel - go
join up.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this