Old August 2nd 17, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default New York Times on Crossrail

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 17:48:10 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:37:37 on Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

A class 700 all the way to Leicester? Ouch!

How far further north do you think Leicester is than Peterborough?

By rail, I'd have thought it was nearly 20 miles further?

Very close in mileage. For trains with a similar number of stops it's
just 7 minutes. And that's with diesel on the MML, an electric train
should be able to close the gap significantly.

Or not, as the case may be: the current diesels can travel at up to
125mph, but the wiring to Bedford was only designed for 100mph
running. And IEPs on diesel power probably won't be able to get up to
125mph. So if the HSTs are replaced by IEPs, the service may actually
slow down.

Thats an interesting point. I suppose the DoT would argue the better
acceleration of the IEP will make up for it but I suspect thats unlikely
over longer distances.

Better acceleration under the wires, yes, but not on diesel north of
Kettering. So you have three zones:

1. SPILL to Bedford. Already electrified, but only designed for 100mph
trains. There was a project to upgrade it for more, faster trains, but I
don't know if that project will continue. If it doesn't, IEPs will have
good acceleration, but lower top speeds than the old diesels.

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

2. Bedford to Kettering. Newly electrified,

Is it, already?

Not completed, but intended to be.

suitable for 125 mph electric
or diesel trains. IEPs will outperform the existing diesels.

3. Kettering to Leicester and on to Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield.
Electrification work started,

Just a few bridge works.

but work will be suspended indefinitely. Bi-mode IEPs will be able to
run, but performance will be worse than current diesel trains,
specially the Meridians.

So keep the Meridians.

Yes, but not the HSTs.