Old August 4th 17, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Latest RAIB on Croydon tram catastrophe

In message , at 11:13:10 on Fri, 4 Aug
2017, Someone Somewhere remarked:
On 04/08/2017 10:20, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:05:25 on Fri, 4 Aug
2017, Someone Somewhere remarked:

There's more to do when driving a bus, therefore drivers don't
fall asleep as often. There are also very few instances of buses
toppling over because they took a bend too fast.
It certainly does happen. Indeed, it's happened a lot more with
double decker buses/coaches than it has from trams (once).
Neil
Indeed - a quick search for coach overturned on google returns a
considerable number of examples.

All the ones I found in a quick search were either because they'd
swerved to avoid another vehicle, or they'd left the road and
typically toppled into a ditch. Neither of these is very likely to be
echoed on a tramway.

First link for coach overturned speeding on google is an accident from
2008 near Heathrow where the driver took the bend too quickly - 40
advisory limit, tachograph showed he was doing 55 in a heavily loaded
bus, and court was informed that over 45 given the circumstances would
cause the bus to become unstable.

He left the road (see above) and bounced off crash barriers. I suspect
that ironically it was the knock from the second barrier which flipped
the coach.

3 killed, 60 injured - roughly the same number of casualties as the
Croydon tram crash.

Agreed, he was driving far too fast, but he hadn't fallen asleep.