Old August 8th 17, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Oyster changes/improvements

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

In message , at 16:29:39
on Tue, 8 Aug 2017, David Cantrell

I was under the impression that petrol stations *had* to be manned when
they were open. That was certainly the case when I was a spotty yoof and
worked in one. If I needed to take a slash during my shift I had to turn
everything off first.

It's changed. I filled up at a Sainsburys *completely* unattended petrol
station today. Card-only, but that's a different thread.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/...Petrol_station

Fully automatic self service petrol stations appeared in earnest in the
2000s, driven by supermarkets keen to cut costs to provide automatic
unattended fuelling at night and reduce staff needed to run the filling
station kiosk during the day. 'Pay at Pump' is now a common feature at
Tesco, Morrisons and Asda stores, with the latter having a number of
completely unattended filling stations, with just a phone to contact the
main store if assistance is required.

At some sites, especially in very remote, rural areas filling stations are
unattended at all times, requiring the user to pay by cash or card in
advance of fuelling. Examples include Durness and Applecross in the Scottish
Highlands.

Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002

--
Mike D