Old May 30th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default How much is a train ticket down there?

"AyrAlex" (AyrAlex) wrote in message
paul_mc28 wrote:

Tell me bout it alex, i just moved down south from Ayr and the fares are
much more expensive, i'll come back home anyday lol

You don't get the 'annoying annie' automatic announcement voice either.

(see
the signature)

--
"We are now approaching Paisley Gilmour Street"

I was in Glasgow a few months ago. What really irritated me was the female
voice making (recorded) announcements before every station on the
Balloch-Airdrie and Glasgow Central-Ayr line trains.

She had, unfortunately, 'wan o' they voaysays'......"This train is fur
Glasgow Queen Street via Sing-ur and Pertick" and "The next stay-shun is
Urrrvun. We wull shoartly be arriving at Prestwick Airport station fur
Glasgow Prestwick Airpoart".

Ahhhhhhh! After ten minutes it became very annoying, to hear this 'Senga'
every few minutes during a 45 minute journey was really unbearable.

Incidentally, my impression of Glasgow (as a visitor from the southeast of
England) was VERY impressive. This has to be the most stunning,
architecturally innovative and friendliest city in the UK. The people, city,
buildings, shopping, hotels etc are fantastic. An added bonus has to be that
the city has the largest suburban electric railway network outside London
and the only city in the UK (outside London) to have a proper underground
railway system. I loved Glasgow, the scale and metropolitan feel of the city
and can't wait to go back again. It surely has to be Britain's best kept
secret? Many people in the UK would avoid it (for some strange reason) but
it is beautiful, exciting and overwhelmingly friendly. I loved it and when I
got back to London I thought "What a dump (compared wth Glasgow)".

Andy