Old August 11th 17, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default London Waterloo international

On 2017\08\11 08:43, e27002 aurora wrote:
On 10 Aug 2017 11:10:54 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

Losing the flyover would enable reinstatement of an 8th track through
Queenstown Road (where it goes from 8 down to 7 to accommodate it, then 8
once the flyover has merged). I don't know enough about the (complex) track
layout and platforming to know if that would give any useful increase in
capacity.

Historically, IIRC, there were four tracks between Waterloo and
Barnes. I do not know how much the reduction around the Nine Elms
flyover reduced needed capacity.

Discussion of new services from Waterloo to Heathrow always seems to
flounder on the need to replace level crossings around Mortlake rather
than limited capacity in Nine Elms.