Old May 31st 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] romic@cix.compulink.co.uk is offline

Default East Finchley - Why So Large???

In article ,
(Mmlabbd) wrote:

So today I travelled on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line
for the first time and was wondering...Why is East Finchley station so
LARGE when Finchley Central is relatively small?

Chris.

I assume that you mean the building itself?

When the Northern Line was extended from Highgate (now Archway) to join up
with the main line at East Finchley, two additional platforms were built -
the outer platforms (1 and 4). This meant demolishing the original station
building which was on the site of platform 4. East Finchley became a new
crew depot for the Barnet branch of the Northern Line and so accommodation
had to be built for them and this was built over all four platforms. Today
the building contains a mess room, canteen, booking-on office, managers
office and toilets.

Luckily Finchley Central survived any changes and the original building
still remains, although there were plans to incorporate an additional
track on the other side of platform 3, which would have meant demolishing
the existing station building. The demise of the Northern Heights
expansion stopped this.

Roger
(my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages
- if you think you should have had a reply/comment,
please e-mail me again. Ta!)