Old May 31st 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Scope for Changing LU Route Linkings

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2004, Sharon & Gordon Thomson wrote:

Are there any changes to traditional route options on LU that
might be worth doing even if the above two are hopeless
non-starters?

How about terminating the Metropolitan line at Whitechapel instead
of Aldgate? I believe that used to be done, and it would be more
useful, i think: anyone who uses the Met to go to Aldgate can get
of at Aldgate East, and it would drastically improve the connection
from east London to the northern half of the circle (at present,
the District line provides a good service to the southern half, but
the H&C is seriously crappy). There are probably very good reasons
why this can't be done, though.

Like the fact that, with only two tracks between Aldgate East and
Whitechapel, and a flat junction at Aldgate East, you couldn't fit in
the H&C, District and Met services and expect to get a reliable service.
This is one reason why the H&C is "seriously crappy", as it has to
contend with at least 4 flat junctions between Paddington and Aldgate
East.

--
Richard J.