Old September 1st 17, 06:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oyster and Contactless on NR

In message , at 00:28:51 on
Fri, 1 Sep 2017, Jarle Hammen Knudsen remarked:
I wonder what if anything stops people using duff contactless cards, eg
ones for a closed account or one that was thought lost , cancelled , then foundi
again? Presumably the only check the gate can do is whether the card is from a
valid bank and account type.

The first time it's used, probably nothing to stop it. Once the charge
"bounces", overnight, it'll probably be added to a local-to-TfL
block-list.

" When you touch in at the start of a journey, the card issuer takes a
nominal charge when authorising the transaction. Depending on the
issuer, this could be for £0.00, £0.01 or £0.10. Actual fares are not
charged until the daily charge is calculated at the end of the day. "

I didn't realise all the buses were online, but then sometimes progress
does creep up on us!