Old September 4th 17, 11:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Ex-postie reviews Mail Rail

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\09\03 17:33, Guy Gorton wrote:

"Mail Rail is opening to the public for the first time" is not quite
true either. I was one of many people who visited it some years
although we could not ride the trains. Was it soon after it ceased to
be used for the mail? Can't remember.

It's normal to say a railway becomes "open to the public" not when the
public can look at the trains but when they can ride on them. The
Barking Riverside extension will certainly not be described as "open to
the public" during the shadow running period, when the trains will be
visible for all to see.

True, and the same was true of the test running of the 345 units.

But Mail Rail has never been visible to members of the general public — you
couldn't just book a visit to watch the trains running. I think only a
minority of us here ever visited it when it was operational, and we'd be
just the sort of people who would have visited it if it had been easy.