Old September 9th 17, 04:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D A Stocks[_2_] D A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default Tube passengers tracked by phone WiFi

"Anna Noyd-Dryver" wrote in message
news

Shopping malls have been doing a similar thing to send you "targetted
adverts" as you approach various shops.

'Send you' by what means?

Targeted ads via Facebook, Twitter, Google or any other apps on your phone
thgat have access to your location.

It's not necessary for you to have a 'phone switched on in order for you to
be tracked: Gatwick airport (a shopping mall if ever there was one) have a
system that does it all with CCTV and face recognition. It's all about
working out how long it takes people to get through the airport and the
places they visit on the way, especially for departures.

I visited a consumer technology exhibition at one of the clients I was
working at a few years ago. We were invited to stand in front of a camera
and watch on a nearby screen while a system worked our age, sex, social
class and other information, displaying the results next to our faces on the
screen. For me it was fairly close within a few seconds (certainly close
enough for targeting ads) and very accurate within a minute. I think the
other information included how we were feeling that day...

--
DAS