Old September 9th 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Tube passengers tracked by phone WiFi

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/09/2017 14:22, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/09/2017 10:37, Someone Somewhere wrote:

I'm not sure of the relevant legislation but presumably the only way to
avoid this is that each entity having such a system has to have a
different algorithm (or at least key) for anonymising the MAC data so
each data set remains siloised (but would the supplier of the system
still be able to join the different datasets?)

Shopping malls have been doing a similar thing to send you "targetted
adverts" as you approach various shops.

'Send you' by what means?

SMS initially.

That'd be tricky to get from a MAC address, surely? Though as per my other
reply, other mechanisms may exist.

Anna Noyd-Dryver