Old September 11th 17, 01:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Tube passengers tracked by phone WiFi

In message , at 13:43:05 on Mon, 11 Sep
2017, d remarked:
It can be SMS, it could even be electronic billboards or display
screens. Imagine walking on to a tube platform, to be greeted by a
display with an advert from Boots - "Hey Someone Somewhere - you haven't
bought Preparation H recently. If your arse grapes are still troubling
you, you'll be pleased to know that we currently have 50p off our jumbo
tube" or similar....

Of course there is always the option - possibly heresy for Millenials - to
switch off wifi on your phone. I know, its radical, but it might just work.

You've raised a *very* interesting point. This survey may be of only
that self-selecting subset of passengers who *do* keep their wifi on [on
the tube].

Does the associated article mention whether they attempted to correct
for this built-in bias?