Old June 1st 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
AyrAlex AyrAlex is offline

Default DLR and one-unders

Andy wrote:
Which are the stations where you can hear running water, Kelvinbridge and
Cessnock?

Very funny, but no.

The Glasgow Underground (sorry, I refuse to embrace the new 'Subway'
indentity, too 'merkin sounding)...

It was originally called the Glasgow District Subway 100 years ago, it's
only been called the Underground for the last few decades

...used to have a tar smell but now it has an eggy, sulphurous whiff. I
used to live above the tunnels between Kelvinbridge and Hillhead, the
building used to tremble when trains passed by underneath (I was on the
ground floor, Oakfield Avenue, G12).

The trains smell a bit eggy, but most of the stations smell of damp cave
(the damp tunnels are over 100 years old now)

pity the plans to build another circle to make a figure-of-eight formation
and plans to extend over the old Botanic Gardens underground tunnels never
came to anything.

The Subway does need updating a bit, don't forget it's over 100 years old
now. Some of the stations were the site of old factories or old industrial
areas which have since closed and been replaced by warehouses, so a lot of
the stations are now irrelevant and very quiet. Although, as mentioned
elsewhere, there's not any real need for a big Underground network like
London has, simply because we've got a great suburban rail network up here.

Any mice in stations like you sometimes see in London tube stations?

No. I think the eggy Irn Bru orange water on the platforms kills them.

--
"We are now approaching Paisley Gilmour Street"