Old June 1st 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robert Woolley Robert Woolley is offline

Default Cost of big and small tubes

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:39:59 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Piccadilly Pilot wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Piccadilly Pilot wrote:
James wrote:
It means that a lot of national-running trains have to be
diesel.

Or be multi-voltage, as most modern electric trains (at least
potentially) are - Electrostar, Desiros, 319s, 365s, EMUs
Silverlink and WAGN use in London, Eurostars.

I can't think of any services which are diesel because of the
two electrification systems. They are diesel simply because of
a lack
of electrification.

I can think of some which used to run: the North-West to Brighton
services via the Trent Valley and the WLL.

Which electrification system is used on the WLL?

750V DC 3rd rail from Clapham Junction to (IIRC) Mitre Bridge
Junction, where it becomes 25KV AC overhead.

Sorry, used "is" when I meant "was" in the context of the previous
posters observation about services between the North-West and
Brighton.

Others may know the history better than me. AFAIK the southern section
from Clapham Junction to Olympia was electrified (3rd rail DC) some time
between 1960 and 1990.

I don't think so. Electrification of this section was in the mid 90s.
no?

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk