Old June 2nd 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default DLR and one-unders

"AyrAlex" (AyrAlex) wrote in message
Andy wrote:
Which are the stations where you can hear running water, Kelvinbridge

and
Cessnock?

Very funny, but no.

I was being serious, there are a couple of stations where you can hear
running water, I forget which ones. It sounded like an underground river was
running nearby. The same as Sloane Square having an underground river
running through it in a conduit/trough above the platform.

The Glasgow Underground (sorry, I refuse to embrace the new 'Subway'
indentity, too 'merkin sounding)...

It was originally called the Glasgow District Subway 100 years ago, it's
only been called the Underground for the last few decades

I know it was originally called the 'Subway' but it just sounds too alien
and Americanised for Britain.

pity the plans to build another circle to make a figure-of-eight

formation
and plans to extend over the old Botanic Gardens underground tunnels

never
came to anything.

The Subway does need updating a bit, don't forget it's over 100 years old
now. Some of the stations were the site of old factories or old industrial
areas which have since closed and been replaced by warehouses, so a lot of
the stations are now irrelevant and very quiet. Although, as mentioned
elsewhere, there's not any real need for a big Underground network like
London has, simply because we've got a great suburban rail network up

here.

Yes, the Strathclyde suburban network is very good but it would be even
better if converted to a full Metro system Tyne and Wear or DLR style.

This is a good website about Glasgow's many disused railway tunnels. The
former Second City of the Empire is the most tunnelled under outside London,
well worth exploring (and brilliant for shopping!!):
http://www.urbanadventure.org/2003/transit/t_transt.htm