Old September 27th 17, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Northern Line Battersea extension

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\09\27 08:14, Offramp wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 08:01:47 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6RWMaAtTOY

The tunnels have TWICE the cross section area of existing tube tunnels,
to allow a walkway!

Great idea! Walking along tracks is bloody awful.

No, walking on sleepers is bloody awful. Walking along the tarmac
between tram tracks is okay. The benefit of the walkway beside the train
is mainly for wheelchairs. We have doubled the amount of spoil from new
tube extensions just for wheelchair users.

Having said that, a diversity firework in a train in the new tunnel
might only cause serious injuries in one carriage, as the walkway would
let the blast dissipate.

He mentioned a possible future extension to Clapham Jct!

I'll believe that when I ride on it. Would their contract with the train
manufacturers allow extra 95 stock for that, or would it have to wait
until the 95s are replaced?

More stock is being procured, both for the Battersea extension, and more
intensive services on the whole line. It will probably look similar to the
current 95 stock, but may be technically more advanced.

I don't think there's any prospect of a further extension to Clapham
Junction during the remaining life of the 95s.