Old September 29th 17, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Uber shut down in London

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 09:22:37 on Fri, 29 Sep 2017, Recliner
remarked:
And the elephant in the room is that it's the gross pay. Knock off 25%
for Uber's commissions, then most estimates for the cost of car rental,
petrol and valeting come in at about £300/week, so for a 60hr week you'd
see something like:

60 x 15 gross = 900
less 25% = 675
less £300 = 375

so that's more like £6.25/hr now, and under minimum wage, plus all the
risks of running your own business.

The FT has an analysis of how much of their time a UberEXEC driver is
actually earning:
https://www.ft.com/content/241d35e8-a463-11e7-b797-b61809486fe2?segmentId=080b04f5-af92-ae6f-0513-095d44fb3577

The "usually £20" is widely regarded as either false memory, like it was
always long hot summers when we were on summer holidays from school; or
it's a very experienced driver knowing where to go (but this time the
surge-chasing failed).

And no doubt, like the £8, is also a gross figure.

Interesting his business has dived so suddenly. Could be a co-incidence,
or maybe on account of the publicity, people have been thinking about
whether the Uber business model is one they want to support.

ps. I wonder why he took such a circuitous route with the fare he picked
up in docklands?