Old October 6th 17, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tony Dragon Tony Dragon is offline

Default When Oyster touch-ins aren't touch-ins

On 06/10/2017 12:43, David Cantrell wrote:
As is normal, I made my monthly refund claim a few days ago for Oyster
cock-ups. On Tuesday I entered Thornton Heath station and picked up the
refund at the gate-line. I can see it on my journey history:

18:08 Oyster helpline refund, Thornton Heath [National Rail]

then I got on a train, and touched out at the other end:

???? - 18:39 [No touch-in] to Victoria (platforms 9-19) [National Rail]

so I managed to both touch in (and pick up the refund) and not touch in
at the same time. That's pretty impressively messed up.

I had it happen a year or two ago at Surbiton.
I touched in my auto top up happened, the gates opened but as I found
out later no journey start.
The way I found out was during a ticket inspection on the train, they
wanted me to pay a penalty fare, I explained the situation & refused.
I was then told that if I did not pay the penalty then the police would
be called, I told them to bring it on.
During the argument the senior inspector came over and asked what
happened, he agreed that I was right and pulled the other inspector over
for 'a quite word'.

I was given a reference number and told to quote it when I contacted TFL.

Got the correction with no problem.

---