Old October 12th 17, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford to London commute

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 12:32:45PM +0100, GeorgeK wrote:

By reading other threads it seems that the most convenient way
is to take the train but the annual ticket is ridiculously expensive
(~5000? !!!!!).

Assuming you travel both ways 220 times a year, so 440 journeys of about
60 miles, that's about 20 pence per mile, which really isn't that
expensive. And of course that ignores any benefit you might get from
being able to use your season ticket for journeys into London during
weekends and holidays - you'd have a Gold Card, so that would include
cheaper tickets for your wife as well.

The buses is another option but it would also mean that
I will be spending at least 3h commuting. I do have a car and I was
wondering if it is worth driving to 3rd or 4th zone in London to avoid
congestion charges, park at a station and then use the underground to
get to zone 1. Would this be a good idea? Any other reccomendations?

Depends on fuel consumption, but almost certainly not. You'll need to
pay for parking, for fuel, for extra parts and maintenance due to the
increased wear and tear, and possibly for more insurance because you'll
be doing an extra 20,000 miles per year. You'll not be able to sleep or
read a book or whatever on the journey, or have a drink at the pub after
work, and the journey will be slower.

A train from Oxford to London is about an hour. Arbitrarily picking
Wembley as your zone four destination, that's anywhere between 1h05 and
1h40 depending on traffic, plus the time to get from car to station, and
the time on the tube.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

I don't do .INI, .BAT, or .SYS files. I don't assign apps to files.
I don't configure peripherals or networks before using them. I have
a computer to do all that. I have a Macintosh, not a hobby.
-- Fritz Anderson