Old October 25th 17, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Paddington C5 program

In message , at 16:04:54
on Tue, 24 Oct 2017, remarked:
A series about Paddington station started last night. They showed video
of the HST derailment there along with recovery efforts which was pretty
interesting and enlightening (especially the poor track workers having
to work in human waste). Apparently the cause was track spread due to
rotten sleepers. You'd think someone might have checked but I guess they
didn't expect much to happen at 5mph.

Strangely enough it was one of the few bits of TV I've watched
recently and I agree it was pretty interesting.

I do wonder with Paddington (and other covered stations where there
will be no weather to deal with the waste) whether it would be
possible to have installed some form of drainage underneath where the
toilets are when the train stops (I know it's not exact, but some
kind of trough in the rough location with a flushing mechanism could
do the job and not leave it festering).

Or of course retrofit the trains with storage tanks....

I don't know about Paddington but I've seen large metal trays in the 4 foot
at other stations, presumably to catch some of the debris. However, the
Paddington derailment was out of the platforms

No it wasn't:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/20/train-...leaves-london-
paddington-station-6865539/

so trays in the platforms wouldn't help, presumably.