Old October 30th 17, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default Beck's air map

"Recliner" wrote in message
Peter Able wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
It seems Harry Beck didn't confine himself to designing non-geographic
Tube
maps. I came across this Imperial Airlines air route map he created in
1935:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNOBfs-W0AA3KJm.jpg:large

Air routes were rather infrequent back then, and Beck came up with a
rather
complicated way of showing weekly, twice-weekly, etc frequencies. It
seems
that even back then, airlines had alliances, but were more open about
code-shared flights than they are today.

Excellent! I'd like to see a higher-res version. Have you the path that
might include it?

Here's another variant. I can't see Beck's name on it, but the schematic
map is certainly in his style:
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~267441~90041892:Imperial-Airways-Map-of-Empire-&-Eu

Yes, I came across that, apparent, plagiarism of Beck's efforts. No sign of
a higher res vesion of Beck's original, though. Twitter seems to accept
small and orig in place of the term large in the URL, but in this case,
whilst the smaller version is smaller, the orig version is the same size as
the large one :-{{

Cheers,

PA