Old July 22nd 03, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark G Mark G is offline

Default [OT] Fire in docklands or deptford?

Luke Ross wrote in message ...
Hi,

Chris Owen wrote:
Luke Ross wrote in message ...

When I was waiting at Heron Quays around 5pm or so yesterday there was a
lot of smoke blowing through the station from a fairly tall building on
fire, quite a way South, that the firefighters were pumping large
amounts of water at - any idea which building was on fire? I can't seem
to find any news articles about it.

It was a construction site - the building on fire was a
partly-constructed block at the bottom of Mastmaker Road on South
Quay. It was one of a number of "affordable housing" blocks being
built on what is, if I remember rightly, the site of the old Tate &
Lyle sugar works. See
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...&coordsys=g b
for the location.

And it was a bloody big fire too, with flames coming out of every
orifice. I could even see the flames from my home in Rotherhithe, a
good mile away. I would estimate that they must have been at least
100ft in the air, to be visible over the intervening rooftops.
Somebody's forfeited their no-claims bonus for sure...

Ah all becomes clear, I did wonder if it was a construction site because
it appeared to have a crane next to it, but I didn't know if they were
in the same place. And yes it was a big fire, there were flames licking
all over the top of it, clearly visible from Canary Wharf.

Luke

I was on the DLR between Lewisham and Greenwich and the smoke was
clearly visable as we passed over the A2, which must be a good couple
of miles away.