Old October 30th 17, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Beck's air map

"Peter Able" wrote in message news

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:07:54 on Mon, 30 Oct 2017, Peter Able
remarked:
Here's another variant. I can't see Beck's name on it, but the schematic
map is certainly in his style:
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~267441~90041892:Imperial-Airways-Map-of-Empire-&-Eu

Yes, I came across that, apparent, plagiarism of Beck's efforts.

"This extraordinary world map by noted Bauhaus designer and artist, Laszlo
Moholy-Nagy, draws on the pioneering information design work of Harry Beck and his
London subway maps"

Hmm. "draws on" - spelt p-l-a-g .....

Try looking up "without acknowledgement".

A first requirement for plagiarism is an intention to
deceive.

PA

Could you please explain how the schematic map which Harry Beck
devised for the London Underground differed in any substantial
way from the schematic circuit diagrams which he produced as a
draughtsman during the day ?

At a superficial level I'd say both consist of nodes either
components or stations so arranged such that they can be
connected by lines either at right angles or diagonally.

Clearly you must think there's something more, as similarly
you clearly don't think that Harry Beck simply plagiarised
the principles laid down by the un-named originators of the
first circuit diagrams.

As presumably you're prepared for these true pioneers of
schematic diagrams to remain unrecognised by posterity.

michael adams