Old November 11th 17, 02:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Old Oak details

Jim Chisholm wrote:
On 11/11/2017 08:47, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\11\11 08:44, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\11\11 08:42, Basil Jet wrote:
In the southern side of the main formation there is a canopy approx
300m long. Quail 2002 says that this is a "toilet discharge siding" -
golly! Never seen any of those elsewhere - why would a 300m canopy be
needed?

Meant to put this in uk.railway...

Um, yeah...

Because we have fixed formation trains that are approaching that length.
If it is ****ing down and the wind blows it is nice to be a little bit
in the dry whilst you connect and disconnect the pipes to discharge all
that **** and (not) wind?

Indeed. I'm presuming that this is referring to the very western extremity
of North Pole depot, on the opposite side of the running lines from OOC?
They (and an access road) cross Old Oak Common Lane and the Central Line
and terminate at the foot of the North London Line embankment. When the
lights were off (between Eurostar vacating the premises and Hitachi
beginning to make train movements on site) there was a fantastic view over
London skyline at night visible *under* that canopy from passing trains!

Anna Noyd-Dryver