Old June 3rd 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
David Boothroyd David Boothroyd is offline

Default Political Parties 10 June

In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
I'm sure you *Know* which parliament I mean, if you can't be arsed
to swot up on the date why should I ?

There was no such Parliament. The Short Parliament was dissolved by
Charles I in 1640. The Long Parliament immediately passed a Bill to
make it impossible for the King to dissolve it unless it consented.
In 1648/9 the House of Commons abolished one branch of Parliament by
chopping its head off, and the other by a vote, but itself continued
until Oliver Cromwell dissolved it. Cromwell's experimental
Parliaments were dissolved shortly after they were called. After the
restoration the remains of the Long Parliament were resummoned as the
only legitimate Parliament, and then consented to their dissolution -
but this was followed by an immediate election.

So which was this Parliament which voted itself out of existence?

You're the smart arse, you tell us ...

OK, I'll tell you: you got it wrong.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"Most of us Lib Dems stopped years ago being 'nice'" - David Larkman