Old November 15th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] srfurley@googlemail.com is offline

Default Croydon

Bad news for Croydon. The Whitgift Centre has for years been blighted by Westfield's plans. Getting on for half of the shops are closed, with more every time I go there. There's nothing much wrong with the place which couldn't be fixed by some minor refurbishment, fixing some leaks in the roof, some of which have been there for years, for example, and a bit of paint.

We already have two Westfield centres in London, they mainly sell things like expensive designer clothes, which are not something which most people buy very often, if ever. They don't seem to attract shops selling everyday things. There's a not very good Sainsbury's in the Whitgift Centre, but rather than improving that it will almost certainly be absent from the new Westfield.

A large hole was made in the centre of Bradfield years ago for Westfield to build a new centre there, put the plans were then put on hold, leaving a large empty space. The Broadway Centre was eventually built, opening a couple of years ago, but the Westfield name doesn't seem to be anywhere on it.