Old November 15th 17, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams[_3_] Neil Williams[_3_] is offline

Default Croydon

On 2017-11-15 09:45:59 +0000, said:

Bad news for Croydon. The Whitgift Centre has for years been blighted
by Westfield's plans. Getting on for half of the shops are closed,
with more every time I go there. There's nothing much wrong with the
place which couldn't be fixed by some minor refurbishment, fixing some
leaks in the roof, some of which have been there for years, for
example, and a bit of paint.

It's an absolute rathole in every possible way and needs pulling down.

We already have two Westfield centres in London, they mainly sell
things like expensive designer clothes, which are not something which
most people buy very often, if ever. They don't seem to attract shops
selling everyday things. There's a not very good Sainsbury's in the
Whitgift Centre, but rather than improving that it will almost
certainly be absent from the new Westfield.

Realistically who completes a full supermarket shop in a town centre
these days? An out of town supermarket and a Sainsburys Local (there
is already one near the station) will do better I reckon.

A large hole was made in the centre of Bradfield years ago for
Westfield to build a new centre there, put the plans were then put on
hold, leaving a large empty space. The Broadway Centre was eventually
built, opening a couple of years ago, but the Westfield name doesn't
seem to be anywhere on it.

Bradford.

Neil
--