Old November 15th 17, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default Croydon

On 15/11/2017 09:45, wrote:
Bad news for Croydon. The Whitgift Centre has for years been blighted by Westfield's plans. Getting on for half of the shops are closed, with more every time I go there. There's nothing much wrong with the place which couldn't be fixed by some minor refurbishment, fixing some leaks in the roof, some of which have been there for years, for example, and a bit of paint.

We already have two Westfield centres in London, they mainly sell things like expensive designer clothes, which are not something which most people buy very often, if ever. They don't seem to attract shops selling everyday things. There's a not very good Sainsbury's in the Whitgift Centre, but rather than improving that it will almost certainly be absent from the new Westfield.

I am one of many people who make frequent use of the large M&S and John
Lewis/Waitrose stores which anchor the 2 ends of Westfield in Stratford
for things other than designer clothes. And also use from time to time
stores such as Boots, WH Smiths, Argos, Cotswold Outdoor and Lakeland.
It can be a bit of a pain having to negotiate the fashionistas with
shoes and nails capable of inflicting life-changing injuries (especially
when they are walking 4 abreast) but life's rarely perfect.

--
Robin