Old November 16th 17, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo[_2_] Theo[_2_] is offline

Default Croydon

wrote:
The rag trade seem to be the bread and butter tenants of modern shopping
centres, providing the best rental income to sustain them. Look at
Cambridge's Grand Arcade. Nothing to do with Westfield but heavily loaded
with shops full of things which you'd think people wouldn't buy very often.
In these days of internet shopping that's how retail survives, I was told
when I was the councillor in charge of the development.

There's also tourists - enough throughput and shops can survive selling
once-a-year things every day. Apparently (it was in the Telegraph so it
must be true) the most popular sites for Chinese tourists visiting the UK
are, in order, Buckingham Palace and Bicester Village.

Theo