Old November 16th 17, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo[_2_] Theo[_2_] is offline

Default Croydon

Neil Williams wrote:
Realistically who completes a full supermarket shop in a town centre
these days? An out of town supermarket and a Sainsburys Local (there
is already one near the station) will do better I reckon.

People who live in the town centre? People who don't drive (car ownership
is declining)?

Of course the meaning of 'supermarket' has changed. Previously, at the time
many of these were built, a supermarket would be on the High Street and take
about 400m2. Now a supermarket is an aircraft hangar with an airport-sized
car park outside.

So if by 'Sainsbury's Local' you mean something about the same size as an
Aldi or a Lidl in a city centre, I agree with you. If you mean a glorified
corner shop where you can buy barely more than a pint of milk and some ready
meals, it's probably not going to do it for a lot of people. Online
deliveries help people without a car, but the trend is that many people are
tending to shop little and often, not do weekly shops.

Maybe the hangars will eventually go dark and turn into delivery depots
instead of walk-in shops?

Theo