Old November 24th 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default Completion of London's Thameslink rail project delayed until

On 24/11/2017 08:44, wrote:
In article ,
(Offramp) wrote:

On Thursday, 23 November 2017 09:42:08 UTC, David Walters wrote:
Promise of 24 Thameslink trains running through central London each
hour will not be fulfilled until another £900m of work is carried
out

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-completion-de
layed-london-december-2019

I live near Mitcham Eastfields, which is on Thameslink. There is a
level crossing associated with the station. Sometimes three trains
are scheduled to go through the station, let's say, NB, SB and a
fast. This can mean that the barriers stay down for 7-10 minutes. By
that time pedestrians and drivers are starting to get cranky.

If the barriers stayed down for much longer I think people would
start edging forward.

I'm amazed people don't realise how long level crossings can stay down. When
I was a kid in the 1960s we knew that. My parents always turned the car
engine off to wait at one as most motorists did. People can be so impatient
these days.

with 5 times as many cars, travelling 5 times as many miles, I find it
neither surprising nor wholly reprehensible that people are no longer
content to wait for the signalman to change the signals, then come down
from the box to open the gates. And those figures are national. In
London and the SE the changes have been greater.

--
Robin