Old December 6th 17, 12:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Rail fares to increase by 3.4%

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-05/r...s-3-4-january/

And this is what happened under BR:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQWcoQqW...jpg&name=small

1975 and 1980 were a bit harsh!

And that was a shrinking BR, that needed more passengers. Now we have a
growing, overcrowded railway.

Presumably BR needed more money more than they needed more passengers.

I recall an interview with Chris Green, then of VWC, following one of the
fare rises - apparently with every fare increase at the time, the passenger
numbers went down but not by as much as the revenue increase, resulting in
an increase in takings regardless.

Anna Noyd-Dryver