Old June 3rd 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london,uk.politics.misc
David Boothroyd David Boothroyd is offline

Default Political Parties 10 June

In article ,
"Yanart Amin Ari" wrote:
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
I'm sure you *Know* which parliament I mean, if you can't be arsed
to swot up on the date why should I ?

There was no such Parliament. The Short Parliament was dissolved by
Charles I in 1640. The Long Parliament immediately passed a Bill to
make it impossible for the King to dissolve it unless it consented.
In 1648/9 the House of Commons abolished one branch of Parliament by
chopping its head off, and the other by a vote,

Could that be construed as "Voting itself out of Existence" perhaps Bettie ?

No, you stupid troll, because the Commons didn't abolish itself, and the
King and the Lords didn't agree to their extinction.

So which was this Parliament which voted itself out of existence?

You're the smart arse, you tell us ...

OK, I'll tell you: you got it wrong.

Are You Sure Bettie ?

Absolutely 100% certain.

snip rubbish about the Irish Parliament in 1800 - which wasn't the 1640s
and wasn't in Britain, and as you would know if you really knew history,
the proprietors of the Irish boroughs were actually paid some £thousands
each as compensation if they were disfranchised.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"Most of us Lib Dems stopped years ago being 'nice'" - David Larkman