Old December 21st 17, 11:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,nyc.transit
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Overhead wire in moorgate line stations

On 22.12.17 0:33, wrote:
On 21.12.17 23:45, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 13:33:34 +0000, "
wrote:

On 21.12.17 10:34,
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:24:04 +0000
" wrote:
On 20.12.17 22:44, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
In article ,

writes
What about in the reverse direction? You want the pan to come up
while
in the transition area.

Nope, got to set the mode switch and manually raise them. Pans
will also
not go up if any part of the train is on contact with the 3rd rail.

So what do you do at the equivalent of Drayton Park, where the train
comes to a stop on the 3rd rail but needs to start on the overhead
because the third rail ends 5 metres beyond the front of the stopped
train?

I was speaking about M-2s, and not about 313s. I assumed, in the
latter
case, that there is a mode switch.

So you mean they won't go up automatically, not won't go up at all?

Exactly. The driver (engineer) switches the power mode, then hits the
"pan up" switch.

Because
if they won't go up at all when on 3rd rail you've got a problem,
unless over
there they have to coast off the 3rd rail

They coast off the 3rd rail and then raise when completely under the
wire and moving. It's done on the fly, AIUI, to help the train quickly
assimilate the new power.

Not done here where OHLE and 3rd rail overlap or share a section of
track (Camden Bank). Changing on the move is a minority activity done
by cl.378s (only ?).

Changing over at V-Zero on an M-2 will mean a rough start, and is thus
ill-advised.

Are the M-2s still running, by the way? I know that the New Haven Line
EMUs are now mainly M-8, though I was under the impression that
Metro-North were keeping a few around for peak services.

A few M-2s, that is.