Old December 29th 17, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default TfL to make half of Berkshire wheelchair accessible

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 20:02:45 UTC, Clank wrote:

I know you hate them, but I'm genuinely baffled why. I suspect
that the man who introduced them plays an undue influence.

I was on the 38 yesterday, and thought it was genuinely excellent.
As a tall person I find the upper deck much better than
'traditional' London double deckers (insomuch as I don't whack my
head on the roof trying to find a seat), and the rear stairs &
door are much more convenient than "fighting with passengers on
the way up when you want to get off" that is normal in a regular
London double decker.

Oh, and the climate was fine.

What is your problem with them? On the two days a year that
London experiences warm weather I never found the existing bus
stock particularly wonderful, so I'm not buying "they're
sometimes warm"...

The simple answer is that they make me ill. Don't know why specifically but I have ended up feeling exhausted and having a thumping headache when using them in the early days. I am not prone to headaches so if I get one it's an unusual event. The weather was not exceptional on any day in question. No other bus in the *world* (and I've travelled on plenty) has the same effect. Heck I even survived crossing the Channel twice in one day in very stormy conditions without being seasick and I loathe ferry travel. To my mind that pretty much proves I am not prone to travel sickness so why the NB4L affects me physically I don't know but it does.

The fact that so much money was splashed on something that is a reflection of Boris's monstrous ego certainly doesn't help my opinion of them but it is not the main reason why I refuse to travel on NB4Ls. Why would I use a bus that makes me ill? Simple answer - I don't and it's one reason why my bus use and visits to Central London have declined markedly. I await the day when they start being withdrawn and are replaced with something decent. I know that's at least a decade away and that's fine. I know people like them and others hate them - that's fine too.

--
Paul C
via Google