Old December 30th 17, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default TfL to make half of Berkshire wheelchair accessible

On 29/12/2017 15:58, Paul Corfield wrote:
snip

The simple answer is that they make me ill. Don't know why specifically but I have ended up feeling exhausted and having a thumping headache when using them in the early days. I am not prone to headaches so if I get one it's an unusual event. The weather was not exceptional on any day in question. No other bus in the *world* (and I've travelled on plenty) has the same effect. Heck I even survived crossing the Channel twice in one day in very stormy conditions without being seasick and I loathe ferry travel. To my mind that pretty much proves I am not prone to travel sickness so why the NB4L affects me physically I don't know but it does.

The fact that so much money was splashed on something that is a reflection of Boris's monstrous ego certainly doesn't help my opinion of them but it is not the main reason why I refuse to travel on NB4Ls. Why would I use a bus that makes me ill? Simple answer - I don't and it's one reason why my bus use and visits to Central London have declined markedly. I await the day when they start being withdrawn and are replaced with something decent. I know that's at least a decade away and that's fine. I know people like them and others hate them - that's fine too.

Is it possible you are allergic to something used in the construction of
the buses or given off by it (possibly something not even specified by
Boris such as the paint)? And that that something might now have
dissipated? One way way to test this would be for you to travel on old
NB4Ls a few times - although it would not be possible to eliminate the
effects of your views on the bus without making it impossible for you to
tell when you were on one and when on another bus. Would blindfold, ear
protectors and thick mitts suffice?

If you would then need a travelling companion we may struggle to set up
a double-blind experiment, but let's not make the best the enemy of the
good

--
Robin